Wednesday, July 02, 2008

Everything but the girl

Before the big thing happened, we had a quiet weekend at home where I pulled down a big box of Arissa's baby clothes, ready to hand them down to a 1-month old bub named Aliya Atiqa.


Finally- we have a baby girl in the family..!! And Mummy is so ready to give those baby clothes away to make room for more toddler clothes that Arissa is growing out of at lightning speed.

The Ikea box is simply bursting at its seams with cute baby dresses,


...colourful rompers,


...little pants and mini skirts, (Sorry Sanah about the army skirt- you should have booked earlier lah! But here’s a picture of it *heh*)


...all manner of accessories like head-bands and delicate shoes,


...all waiting to see the light of day once again.

I had such fun dressing Arissa up, who was the ONLY girl born between 2005 and 2007 amongst relatives/friends. It’s strange how when I was pregnant I had convinced myself that I was carrying a boy. For some unknown reason, I’ve always believed that boy firstborns just seemed more ‘natural’. Maybe because everyone around me seemed to be conceiving boys?!

It took a while to come to terms emotionally when Dr Ang told us that Astronaut (which is what we used to call her when she was a weeny little foetus due to her big head and small body) might be a *girl* actually.

As I divided her clothes into piles of Grade A, Grade B and strictly-for-home stashes for Aliya, I offhandedly asked the hubby who was playing 'masak-masak' with the little one "Dear, when should we plan to have our 2nd one?"

His face showed he was calculating how much it takes to raise a child halfway decently in this day and age (daycare $300, piano lessons $190, taekwondo $100, Kumon $120...), whilst I can only remember how tired I am most of the time with just ONE kid to keep in check.

He finally answered “Let’s wait til she’s 4?”

And I said “At least 4!”

*pffft*

That makes me all of 33 in the next pregnancy... I seriously don’t know if I can physically cope with the demands of a pregnant body at such an age- the lethargy, the morning sickness, the emotional roller-coaster, the list goes on... *sigh* On days like this, I kick myself for getting married so late.

And as Hafidz and I reminisced about Arissa's infanthood (“Remember how cute she looked in this pink dress for her cukur rambut?! / “Hey... she wore this ballerina shoes to Sapna’s wedding!” / “Why did you buy so many headbands...she hated them didn’t she?”), she was more interested in parading around in my high heels.


Like my MIL says “Kalau dah pompan, pompan jugak!”