Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Always end the name of your child with a vowel

I was in Kinokuniya yesterday @ lunch to find a book for Hafidz. Naturally, I wandered to the baby section to try and see if there's anything interesting for myself and came across a fantastic book of baby names. I was *this* close to buying it but then

a) Not pregnant and no plans TO get pregnant just yet (and whats the use of baby names if one's not pregnant? To name one's resident pet cockroach?)
b) Its $27 (daylight robbery i tell ya!!)
c) Last copy and hence a bit rumpled

Whereas my other baby books from the local Arab Street stores list only Arabic names, this one is a compilation of ALL baby names be it in Arabic or Hebrew or Germanic, even Aboriginal Australian!

Bill Cosby's book called FATHERHOOD instructs parents to "always end the name of your child with a vowel, so that when you yell the name will carry".

I loaded my bub's name with MANY MANY vowels so I when I get the occasion to yell, I can cover 10mins in 1 breath..

!!HaaaaaaaaaaaaNaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa
AaaaaaaaRiiiiiiiiiiiSSaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!!

..which is not only effective in stopping her from doing undesirable things (like letting our cat lick her lollipop) but also breath-saving for me! But I digress... I found the meanings to her name in a flash:

HANA
[arabic] Happiness, bliss
[japanese] Flower, blossom
[korean] Number 1
[hebrew] Grace of God, full of grace

**I fought tooth & nail w hubby to put this name in and now I have FOUR dang good reasons to show off for it :].

ARISSA
[arabic] Bright, smart

[greek] Magnificent

And today, a colleague sent in another astrological sign email (boy, we get a lot of those in the office) and Arissa's birthdate has the following interesting, should-never-forget facts:

Age in years 1.41
Age in months 17
Age in days 516
Age in hours 12389
Age in minutes 743318
Age in seconds 44599070
Age in Milli seconds 4459907023
Age in weeks 3613
You born on Thursday


[as at 8 Apr 08]

Character traits:
* Has a lot of ideas -..on how to irritate Mummy/Daddy/Nenek/Atok by avoiding sleeping and feeding times.
* Difficult to fathom
* Thinks forward
* Unique and brilliant
* Extraordinary ideas
* Sharp thinking
* Fine and strong clairvoyance
* Can become good doctors - wow! this i like!
* Careful and cautious
* Dynamic in personality
* Secretive
* Inquisitive
* Knows how to dig secrets
* Always thinking
* Less talkative but amiable
* Brave and generous
* Patient - errr... only sometimes.
* Stubborn and hard-hearted - NO! means NO!!!!! ..no 2 ways about it!
* If there is a will, there is a way
* Determined
* Never give up
* Hardly become angry unless provoked
* Motivates oneself
* Does not appreciates praises - she loves being praised! How else do we feed her her meds/cod liver oil? * High-spirited
* Well-built and tough
* Deep love

Cute and fun to read but hardly believable, as all generic astrological signs are! :S