Monday, September 09, 2013

Better late than never

Every child develops differently, we all know that. However the reality is that parents get very worried if their bubs don't grow teeth at 6 months, or dont start crawling at 9 months, or don't develop proper speech by 2. 

I waited for 4 whole years before Sofia started conversing properly. Waited, at the edge of my seat; gripping the armrest tightly while nodding encouragement to her through clenched teeth. That was how nervous I had been. I had even enquired through friends about autism tests available at NUS. Comments from relatives like "she's in her own world eh" or "aku bebual dengan dia, dia tak pandang pun muka aku" made me even more inclined to think she borders on autism, whose checklist is perpetually in my head:

1) no eye contact
2) does not value social interaction
3) etc etc..

For her I think the turning point was when she started going to MFS woodlands this year. Her teachers were young and jovial, there were always 4-5 teachers around and they were certainly 'better' at engaging small kids. 

First she started to want to make conversations and imteract with others by repeating words/phrases wholesale off the telly like "fantastic!" or "good job!" (thanks to Team Umizoomi and Bubble Guppies)  then over months graduated to holding proper 2-way conversations. Arissa had been critical in Sofie's speech development especially during playtime- they bounce off each other naturally, even when parts of Sofie's speech is incoherent and sounding like a youtube cut&paste (complete with American accent). 

Its a little late coming but she now asks the valuable Why questions. "Why is kakak naughty Mummy?", she asked sad faced after an episode at home where I became the big bad wolf shouting at the big girl to STOP WALKING AROUND THE HOUSE NAKED AND DRIPPING WET because others might slip and fall in the puddles she leaves behind or get sore eyes by the sight of her naked bum. And in the midst of all that shouting, I hear Sofia's little voice ask "Why is kakak naughty Mummy?". I stopped. I looked at her confused face seeking mine for an answer and I hugged her and said thank you for asking. 

My baby Sofie always has a way to calm us down- in the most unexpected, highly emotionally-intelligent method. 

               Always one of the boys.

                    Partners in crime.

                   With her Godma.