Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Singapore Ghost Stories

In this modern day and age, one may be inclined to to diss anything resembling the supernatural. I, for one, admit that my 1st reaction to any ghost story is "pfffft..maybe its just your imagination!?" although I listen with fascination!

When I got pregnant with Arissa, my superstitious MIL gave all sorts of advice to protect me and my foetus from hungry ghosts, cheeky goblins and other species of the supernatural kingdom. She even made me carry a little cloth packet with onions and garlic and what-have-yous in it (I remember it smelled really rotten by Month #9, maybe the rotting herbs puts off the ghostly appetite?)

But then the supernatural really happened to me. And I was stumped for an explanation because any way I looked at the experience, I could not rationalise it.

In Tioman Island, our scenic beachfront chalet hid a village graveyard unbeknownst to me. Hafidz and I were walking to the restaurant at 730pm when in a distance, I see a large white satin cloth fleeting purposefully from the top of one raintree to another. Too big to be a bird and too small to be a kite, I simply looked away and started praying under my breath. I only told the husband after we've left the island at which point he said "Oh yea, there's a graveyard behind our chalet". Thank God it was not such a scary experience!

8 months and at my mother's house. Insomnia is my best friend at this late stage of pregnancy and the nesting is something I need to do even though its 3am and the husband is in JB. I was cleaning up in the kitchen when I hear very distinctly my (late) grandmother's voice calling out my name from the silent and darkened dining room. I stopped what I was doing for a moment and the voice in my head echoed out loudly "pfffft..maybe its just your imagination!?" So I stepped into the toilet to wash my mop and saw, with utter and total disbelief, a black shadow on the wall of something/someone tall and HUGE walking past the toilet door- head, body, everything! My head spinned from fear and goosebumps racked my whole body. This is the most scary experience by far.

In this pregnancy, I encountered another startling phenomenon of a little child calling out "Muuuuummy!" from behind the sofa at home. When I turned I saw no one (but of course) and I knew Arissa was fast asleep and the room door was closed so even if she had called out to me it would not have sounded so clear and succinct. This was in the bright of day too but I brushed it aside in my mind otherwise I'd go insane wondering who it was.

So there we have it, my supernatural experiences to date. I hope for no more over my lifetime please.