Tuesday, September 12, 2006

Where to Shop for Baby Stuff

I'm the first to admit- I'm generally a tightwad. I like em cheap, and I like em good, so when it was time to shop for baby stuff.. I asked around for cheap bargains and went visiting these places:

BABY KINGDOM
Address : 83 Kaki Bukit Ave 1 #01-00 Shun Li Ind Park Singapore 417954
Tel : 6547 1677
My 2-cents :
I love the baby changing tables at this place, ranging from $350 onwards. Wide selection of baby prams and car seats and slightly cheaper than Baby Hyperstore. For example, a Peg Preggo pram + car seat combi I was eyeing was about $30 cheaper here than Baby Hyperstore. They also sell Britax car seats (Economy, Business and First Class seats) for newborns up to 8 years old. Its a bit pricey (ard $600 onw) but you only buy one to last 6 years instead of buying 3 [an infant carseat (NB to 18mths) -> toddlers seat (18mths to 4 years) -> booster (4 years onw)]. Only thing is the colour is a tad dreary and boring. Upstairs, you'll find the light-duty stuff: diapers, toiletries, clothings, bath tubs etc.

BABY HYPERSTORE PTE LTD
Address : 69 Kaki Bukit Ave 1 Shun Li Ind Pk Singapore 417947
Tel : 6844 1123
My 2-cents :
Next door to Baby Kingdom. But if its baby clothings you're looking for, give this place a miss. Instead, Baby Hyperstore has a wide range of heavy duty baby stuff- car seats, baby prams and baby strollers, cribs, playpens. They sell big brand names including Peg Preggo, Quinny, Maxi Cosi, Combi and Aprilla at heavily discounted prices from say, Robinsons or Metro. It also sells those antenatal audio equipment for listening to your baby's heartbeat at home for about $60.

KIDZLOFT
Address : Blk 6, 154 Tagore Lane Singapore 787567
Tel: 6333-6002
Website : http://www.kidzloft.com/
My 2-cents :
The sad thing is they're only open office hours so I havent had a chance to pop in yet. The website, however, is pretty comprehensive and you can order online. They don't have big brands, mostly in-house brands but the Bumboo baby seat is something I'd like to get when baby is older. Kidzloft was also featured in a Channel 8 baby programme hosted by hot mumma Zoe Tay. Prices seem very reasonable.

TOM & STEFANIE
Address : West Mall; Choa Chu Kang Centre; Woodlands Civic Centre; Tiong Bahru Plaza
My 2-cents :
A few outlets, the one I went was in Yishun Northpoint during a huge baby sale. They sell 0-18 months rompers and other pieces of clothing for as cheap as $3 each from well-known brands like Baby Gap and the like. Mostly surplus but its clean, soft and new so I don't see why not- anyway they grow out of them so quickly. Also sells mum's pregger clothes but those are too tacky for me.

BEDOK INTERCHANGE BABY STORE
Address : I dont know the exact address but its alongside Pizza Hut (just across the little road) at Bedok Interchange. You can spot it by the little bicycles and tricycles on display out front.
My 2-cents :
I love this little hunt- everytime someone gives birth, I run over here to get them a prezzie. The best gift ever must be their baby bath seat, for only about S$60. I've given 2 of my girlfriends this little baby bath seat and they love it so much, they started recommending it to other people (I'll post a pic when I get my gf to send me one of hers) . Apparently it makes baby bathing a breeze- forget the ole chunky bath tub, the foldable baby bath seat looks like a mini rocker, lets you put your baby inside it thereby freeing BOTH hands! You put the seat in a large sink or on the bathroom floor and shower the little one using a normal shower head. He/she's happily lying back relaxed so you don't have to deal with the little one squirming and making a fuss at bathtime. Once bathtime is over, you simply hang the shower seat up to dry. Its made of rustless plastic and soft mesh that dries very quickly.

This place also sells things at a fraction of department store prices- mattresses, play pen and the lot. Don't expect big brands though, it is after all an 'uncle' shop.

BABY FAIRS
A bargain hunter like me would never miss a baby fair. The one at Takashimaya recently offered good bargains- Avent baby bottle was selling at $6 (UP $9+), booties and mittens were selling at $3 and rompers and separates were goin for 3 for $10. Although I blew an extravagant $150, I got everything light duty sorted out- nipple creams, baby bottles, many many clothing, toiletries, breast pads, cotton wools, hair brush, mittens & booties, rubber mats blablabla.

I'll let you guys know of other baby fairs when I hear of them.

Yahoo (Singapore) Auction Site
A lot of people auction off relatively new playpens, cribs, changing tables at really reasonable prices just to clear spaces in their storerooms at home. Sure its not new but if its a 2 years old something, the condition should still be acceptable. If you need to buy a 'luxury' item (ie something you don't really need, but would be nice to have) like a baby changing table, this is the place to go. I saw some guy auctioning off a 1 year old IKEA baby changing table for a mere $20. What's more, you can contact seller for more pics or to clarify certain doubts before making a purchase decision.

Hope this saves you some mullah!