Monday, August 27, 2012

When your in-laws have 10 siblings each and your parents have 7 from each side, Eid is a frantic affair. Its the 2nd week of Eid with no end in sight- it will get even busier before I get a chance to kick back and let the kids open up their green packets (at the moment neatly piled together labelled 'Hana' and 'Sara', because I'm anal like that).

Being pregnant has its pros and cons over Eid. There's food glorious food at every house, I'm sure I just got lots heavier over this past week alone. Everyone would smile encouragingly when I stuff my face at every house. They would nod in understanding as I sit like a permanent fixture at the buffet table and go for 2nd and 3rd servings- family.. gotta love them.

But with all that houses to cover (12 houses this weekend alone!!), my feet has shown signs of swelling. Housework is virtually nonexistent and I have had to learn to co-exist with dust balls at every corner of my house. Note to self: start looking at biodatas for Helpers by end month.

What I love most about Eid is the catching up with the old folks- we only see them once a year after all. Arissa is always interested to know which side this old, wrinkly folk came from- Nani? Nenek? Atok? late Atok? And I in turn get a refresher course about the varying branches and sub-branches within our combined massive family tree, and its origins- Guangdong, Palembang, Banjar Masin, Melaka- they all started as FTs you know... :p

Its a journey back to one's roots and my MIL is always happy to tell and re-tell the glorious tales of their life journey.

I'm just happy to capture the special moments when these munchkins act cheeky. They fight like cats and dogs, biting involved, but when there's love they can be oh-so-adorable.