Wednesday, June 22, 2011

5D on 3D

To beef up my portfolio, I moonlight as Vana White on some occasions.. in this case, it was for Broadcast Asia 2011.


IFA was stationed with MDA at their Jewel booth to showcase our latest co-produced 3D documentary called "24hour Asia" (release dates tba). Read more about it here.

The CNA DOP, Sophian Yusi, thought it would be fun to put me in front of our 3D rig and demonstrate what it was all about.



It was a fun demo for the Ministers and their delegates and everyone went away amazed to have seen themselves in 3D.

So I spent a week on a 3D course in which 4 out of 5 days was spent in a cloud of confusion but I get it now, I really do (hey I passed the course ok! with a little help from the colleagues of course- heh). Its really quite a simple setup, with no special 3D camera needed.

All it takes is 2 cameras (like the 5D or the RED) on a beam-splitter or side-by-side rig, our rig can do both. The idea is that 1 camera is your 'left eye' and the other camera is your 'right eye' so the images captured need to have a little bit of overlap (or parallax). The 3D glasses then tricks your brain into thinking you're seeing real depth on-screen. Now watching 3D is all about comfort. Good 3D movies give your eyes transition time, bad 3D just give you nausea. And folks, its not always about things 'jumping' out of the screen, good 3D is more about creating depth with the occasional 'wow!' element.. its no coincidence Avatar was set in a jungle setting with complex and layered environment.

Sophian playing with his new toy.

The whole exhibition was a big circus fare but what amazed me was on a smaller scale. Much much smaller scale- a personal level in fact. And a narcissistic one at that too!

Kudos to the Canon 5D. I've never seen a camera that can smooth years off my face AND sculpt the jawline at the same time. With minimum makeup and simple down lighting, the effect was even better than my wedding photos!!



*except I'm standing next to scary Big Boss, instead of hubby. Gah.


So that's your 3D education. Remember that when you catch your next 3D movie. Adios!