Monday, March 02, 2009

D is for Dropout

I thought I had it all planned out. I would send Arissa to daycare and give Mum a break before the 2nd bub arrives in 3 months time. She will cry for awhile (Arissa, not Mum- the latter would be jumping for joy at the prospect of 3 months tot-free, can travel time) but one day she'll wake up with a smile and tell me "Mummy, I want to go to school". And I will be so happy that IT has finally happened- the day she willingly ventures into independance-dom.

So I enrolled her into Jamiyah Daycare Centre which happened to be the only Muslim daycare centre within a 2km radius of Mum's house. The fees were so cheap my eyes popped, I thought "Hah! Finally I can afford to buy some LVs and Guccis".

But not before being assured of the basic providence- there would be 1 teacher to 12 students, there would be outdoor play and all sorts of activities that would stimulate a young mind from science to music to art. I paid the deposit and went away proud that I had found a gem of a place that costs me almost nothing!

First day of school came but Mummy was more nervous than tot, she was more than happy to have gotten a new Minnie Mouse schoolbag.

It started smoothly enough, she was understandably anxious to suddenly be surrounded by so many kids her age who were palming her spanking new bag but soon warmed up to a Desiree, a little girl who doesn't say much but smiles endlessly.

Desiree, being a relative newbie too, and her decided to explore the school but with me in tow of course- she wouldn't lose sight of me. But when class started I got a really bad feeling about the place. Maybe my standards were set too high- she has had 1-on-1 care since 3 months old and to be shoved into a realm of facelessness for me was unacceptable. I counted 20 kids and there was only 1 teacher who spends most of her time scolding her charges. What happened to 1:12 ratio??

There was too much waiting- the teacher has to make lunch and distribute food and clean up after, she has to change them for the afternoon shower- and not enough activities. Where are the music classes, the art classes?? I see no books in the classroom and when Arissa and Desiree took a few from the reception area, they were promptly reprimanded and their books taken from them. I was appalled- was my 2-year old to sit still for 20 minutes at a stretch with absolutely zilch to do but 'talk' to her peers?


I left in a hurry at the first opportunity, dropped Arissa at Mum's and went straight to Putra Putri, a private school we saw that was slightly beyond our budget. But to hell with it, I'd rather wear Poccollini then risk my daughter's education. They said ok to a Friday trial session where I'd see if Arissa settles in with her 3 other classmates. A small group would perhaps be more palatable to this overprotective? Mummy, plus it reminds me of how much fun I had at Zion Kindergarten (despite the ham sandwich incident) which was housed in a bungalow with its own compound and stocked with colourful books and stimulating play areas.

This episode begs the question: Am I asking for too much? I wonder if I'm actually ready to send her to school and the answer, after much soul-searching, is an inevitable YES! provided I'm assured that she is given enough stimuli, the basic food for a thinking mind, something I'd have personally provided myself if I was a SAHM... activities like puzzlework or pretend play.

















Having said that, I am far from ready to pay $600 monthly for Kinderland daycare, not only will Mummy be wearing Poccollini, I would have to cycle to work and eat Digestive biscuits along the way.


(';')

PS: Anyone who has any good/bad feedback about Putra Putri, please email me at rina_harman@yahoo.com.au