Tuesday, June 03, 2008

Riding the wave of change

Some say bad things come in pairs.

Last week, my trusty aunt-in-law/babysitter called to say she had placed Arissa with another aunt that day. Of course I went into panic mode asking, "Why? What happened?". I can hear her calm, controlled voice over the line saying the Polyclinic doctors have just informed them that her husband's kidneys are both non-functional and that they needed to immediately seek medical help at a hospital. At this point, she started sobbing softly.

Dear God, I thought, renal failure. It would mean constant rounds of dialysis and expensive medication. My FIL went through this before his death so I (sort of) was clued into her dilemma.

I've visited them twice since then in TTSH, once with Arissa to help ease the bitterness of their reality. I saw how their faces lit up when she saw my little tot and my aunt confessed in a melancholic tone whilst hugging Arissa, "Mak Nor rindu betul la dgn Sha..." I told her not to worry about Arissa as I would find a suitable relief sitter in the meantime but I also fear that she may not be able to commit to babysitting my tot anymore in search for a full-time job or to take proper care of her husband.

We've 2 sitters in mind, both related to either me or the hubby, but Mak Nor has taken such excellent care of Arissa since she was 3 month old that I am loathe to try someone new. But what am I to do? Mum cannot commit to a full 5-day week and a maid is an option I fully refuse to try at this stage. At least, not until Arissa can talk properly. Its back to the phone book, asking family members to recommend a full-fledged, experienced sitter who can cope with a hyperactive tot. Thank goodness I still have 15 leave days this year. I can just see it being depleted faster than the ozone layer.

The 2nd blow came from Mum on Thu morning as I got ready to go over to hers. I had taken an off day to send Dad to the airport for Umrah when the bad news hit me in the gut- "Abah jatuh tersembam tadi pagi depan pintu bilik air. Dia kata dia pening, mama takut stroke aje". When we rushed over, Dad seemed fine- bustling about lugging his bags to the car. I spotted a swollen cheekbone but other than that, he said he felt fine. Hafidz, who is more experienced with these things and hence more cautious than me, openly voiced out "Baba kalau tak sihat, tangguhkan Umrah la. Kita boleh pergi x-ray dulu to make sure tak ada internal injuries". From experience with his father, my husband knew that Dad would only feel the effects of his fall a few days later.

And he was right. Now in Mecca, Dad texted to say he is not feeling too good and will come back earlier than planned. He forbade me to tell Mum about his health but I'm quite sure she knows. She herself seemed stressed lately and the last thing I wish to do is dump Arissa on her. So what do I do- apply 2 days of parental leave next week. Argh.

The bottomline is, nothing should be taken for granted, particularly one's health. I went back to all my insurance documents to make sure Hafidz & I are covered under some sort of policy in case we are suddenly not able to provide for our little brood. Its a scary thought but I would like to know that we're both prepared to ride any wave of change without drowning.